How to diff two directories?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:49:10 UTC 2020

On 5/5/20, Kevin Korb via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Rsync != diff.

What do you mean? I only need to know what files are not the same, but
I don't need to know what the differences are with the files.

> However, if that command lists a file something is different about it.
> add --itemize-changes to find out what.

I see this output. What does ">f.s........ 2.txt" mean? Thanks.

$ rsync -avun --delete --itemize-changes /tmp/tmp.GH6z0oN8rn/a/
/tmp/tmp.GH6z0oN8rn/b
sending incremental file list
>f.s........ 2.txt

sent 73 bytes  received 19 bytes  184.00 bytes/sec
total size is 4  speedup is 0.04 (DRY RUN)

==> /tmp/tmp.GH6z0oN8rn/a/1.txt <==
1

==> /tmp/tmp.GH6z0oN8rn/a/2.txt <==
2