RAM speedup

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Sun Jun 28 19:29:00 UTC 2020

On 28.06.2020 16:46, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
> [...]

And this HDD is a SMR model(*) on top of beeing a 4k sector model emulating 512 byte sectors.
So alignment needs to be correct and the filesystems must use 4k sectors.

This HDD is NOT suitable for beeing used for small files and a hardlink-farm.

SMR HDDs only reach best performance if used "like a tape drive" with large and linear writing.

I use SMR HDDs myself and only use them for "really large" files (>500MB per file), otherwise they perform very poorly.
I also align my partitions correctly and set XFS to "4k sector"-size.
Which nowadaya means: I use 4k sectors for anything. As i only have been
using 4k sector HDDs for nearly as long as they are on the market (IIRC >1 decade).
Also SSDs are usually optimized for 4k sectors too.

*:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingled_magnetic_recording

--

Matthias