High memory usage - any way around it other than splitting jobs?

Perry Hutchison pluto at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Jun 25 16:49:55 UTC 2020

Kevin Korb via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately the hard links are the problem.  In order to keep
> them straight rsync has to remember the details of every file it
> finds with a link count >1 making it grow and grow.

I _hope_ it is only remembering the source and destination inode
numbers, and pruning that list when possible[*], as opposed to
storing all of "the details" for the duration of the operation.

[*] If the source file has (say) 3 hardlinks, it can be deleted
    from the list as soon as the 3rd hardlink has been copied.