Syncing from two sources to one target and deleting files not in either source

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Fri Jul 24 06:19:43 UTC 2020

On 21 Jul 2020, at 09:29, Joe via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> use ls or find to create a list of files on server 1 followed by a list
> of files on server 2
> run it through sort -u to eliminate duplicates
> use ls or find to make a list of files on ser

This is basically what I am doing, though it is a lot more complicated than that. But as I said in an off-list reply to someone else, this is a quite expensive process that has to run separately and must be run when rsnc is not running. And it's fragile.

Wayne's suggestion of a protected file that lists the files on server 1 when connecting to server 2 and deletes files on server 3 seems like it's a lot more workable as it is cheap to get a list of files and everything runs in the one process.

The list of files is not super large, (thousands, not hundreds of thousands) but they are generally large files, so that's the direction I'll investigate.

--
Everything you say is so boring, I replace it with dubstep.