Is there any way to restore/create hardlinks lost in incremental backups?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:43:58 UTC 2020

Hi.

Is it possible that, if day4 is consuming too much space, that day3 was an
incomplete backup?

The rsync wrapper I wrote goes to a little trouble to make sure that
incomplete backups aren't allowed.  It's called Backup.rsync, and can be
found at:
https://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~strombrg/Backup.remote.html
It does this by mv'ing backups to a magic name scheme only after they fully
finish, to distinguish them from partial backups.  If a backup is found
that doesn't have that magic name scheme, it is assumed to be partia, and
is reused as the starting point for the next snapshot.

Feel free to use it, or raid it for ideas.

HTH