Rsync 3.2.3 released

Wayne Davison wayne at opencoder.net
Fri Aug 7 21:41:03 UTC 2020

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 11:48 PM Michal Ruprich wrote:

> I see that a couple of patches from the rsync-patches tar have
> disappeared, like acls.diff or xattrs.diff yet I don't see the changes in
> the code. Is there a reason for their removal?

Various things were removed that had limited value or were something that
had no chance of ever being merged.  The acls & xattrs diffs were never
needed for any released rsync, but some distros may want to keep applying
their own version of the patches if they think they have pre-3.0.0 rsyncs
hanging around that have pre-release xattrs/acls support (so after 12 years
I'll let them deal with any remaining effects of their distributing
pre-release patches). I'll probably be removing some more patches soon as I
weed through them.  One example of something that will probably go away is
the source-filter_dest-filter.diff -- it's marked as being very dangerous
and thus never something that would go in an official release (so it would
be horrible if someone ignored the cautions and distributed an rsync with
that applied).