How to display IP of mirror site and exclude it

Gerard E. Seibert gerard_seibert at outlook.com
Tue Apr 7 13:23:02 UTC 2020

FreeBSD 11.3 p7 /amd 64

rsync  version 3.1.3  protocol version 31
Copyright (C) 1996-2018 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 32-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes, no prealloc, file-flags

In an attempt to get a list of updated files, I am using the option:
--info=name --out-format=%n

This works well some of the time. Unfortunately, there are some mirrors
that do not support the "--info=name" option, and exit with a error
code of 10.

EXAMPLE:
rsync: on remote machine: --info=NAME: unknown option
rsync error: requested action not supported (code 4) at
clientserver.c(839) [sender=3.0.6] rsync: read error: Connection reset
by peer (54) rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(785)
[Receiver=3.1.3]

Since this does not happen on all of the mirror sites, I would like a
way to get a list or have rsync display the IP of the site it received
an error message from and a way to block the use of that IP in the
future. Is that possible?

The complete set of options I am sending to rsync is this, if it
matters.

"--no-motd --quiet --times --compress --update --no-dirs --info=name --out-format=%n"

Thanks!

--
Gerard