Rrsync3.1.3x POSIX ACLs conversion to NFS v4 ACLs question

Umanski, Alexander Alex.Umanski at netapp.com
Tue Jun 4 17:03:12 UTC 2019

Hello Rsync open source community,

We are in the process of the data  migration from RHEL NFS Server into NetApp using "rsync 3.1.3 with -XAavzHP  -inplace  --filter= '-x system.posix_acl'  /source_NFSv4 /destination_NFSv4  " options :

Current NFS Exports have legacy POSIX ACLs applied on some files, the reason we are using "-XA" is because we also have NFS v4 ACLs to copy and this works.

Our problem or question is about POSIX ACL, when we mount source as NFS v4 and destination as NFS v4, it seems like all the POSIX ACLs being converted into NFS v4 ACLs and that's the result we need, however there is no documentation  stating that this is an expected behavior.

What I described above is completely satisfying as even if we mount the same destination filesystem as NFS v3 after copying data, the access list works and provide an access RWX (whatever) is applied.

The question is if this is expected behavior?

Thank you all in advance,

Alex Umanski