rsync rewrites all blocks of large files although it uses delta transfer

Delian Krustev krustev at krustev.net
Thu Feb 14 00:00:39 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 6:25:59 PM EET Remi Gauvin
<remi at georgianit.com> wrote:
> If the --inplace delta is as large as the filesize, then the
> structure/location of the data has changed enough that the whole file
> would have to be written out in any case.

This is not the case.
If you see my original post you would have noticed that the delta transfer
finds only about 20 MB of differences within the almost 2G datafile.

The problem with --inplace without --backupdir is that delta transfers can no
longer work efficiently.

Cheers
--
Delian