rsync rewrites all blocks of large files although it uses delta transfer

Remi Gauvin remi at georgianit.com
Wed Feb 13 23:25:59 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-13 5:26 p.m., Delian Krustev via rsync wrote:

> The copy is needed for the comparison of the blocks as "--inplace" overwrites
> the destination file. I've tried without "--backup" but then the delta
> transfers too much data - close to the size of the backed-up files.

It's cool that --backup can be used as source data that way, a feature
was unaware of.. but I think you found the cause of your problem right
here as well.

If the --inplace delta is as large as the filesize, then the
structure/location of the data has changed enough that the whole file
would have to be written out in any case.