How Can I save the original permissions while setting g+rX for all files

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis at gmx.net
Mon Dec 9 00:56:05 UTC 2019

Hello list!

Combining -M--fake-super with --chmod ends up changing the permissions
stored in the fake-super xattrs. I.e. the permissions stored in the xattr,
are
affected by --chmod.

The desirable behaviour for me would be for --chmod to modify the real
permissions of the destination files. The use case is writing a backup as a
non-root user, having it readable by the group (g+rX), while also saving
the
original permissions in the xattr.

Is it a bug? Any suggestions on how I can achieve what I want?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris