rsync of big image files from virtual hosts takes lot of time

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Sat Oct 20 18:00:08 UTC 2018

----- Am 20. Okt 2018 um 18:56 schrieb rsync ML rsync at lists.samba.org:

> First, add --stats to find out how much is being transferred.  Second,
> if these are fixed size or sparse image files then --sparse will be a
> big help.  Finally, if they are not fixed size or sparse then --inplace
> is probably making things worse.
>
> --no-whole-file is the default btw unless you are doing a local copy.
> If you are doing a local copy then just use cp as it is much faster at that.

This is what i just got rsyncing a 300GB file:

sending incremental file list

mausdb.raw

sent 1,195,156,775 bytes  received 19,873,319 bytes  67,721.77 bytes/sec
total size is 289,408,024,064  speedup is 238.19

real    299m1.693s
user    68m12.737s
sys     7m56.389s
(i put time before the command).

The files are fixed size, no sparse files.
What do you mean with a "local copy" ? Source and Destination on the same disk ?
In my case the source reside on a SAN attached via FC, the destination is a cifs server.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: NN
Stellv.Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: MinDirig. Dr. Manfred Wolter
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias Tschoep, Heinrich Bassler, Dr. rer. nat. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671