No subject

Bruce Adams adamsb at mit.edu
Fri Oct 19 12:45:33 UTC 2018

I am trying to use rsync to back up data on a central server.  On the server I created a module for the target directory; here is the entry for it in rsyncd.conf:

[data]
  path = /data
  read only = false
  uid = root
  gid = root
  #auth users = nmrsu:rw, root:rw
  #secrets file = /etc/.rsync.stuff
  log file = /var/log/rsync.log

On the server rsyncd is running with root permissions, and the permissions on /data are 777.  Yet when I try to save data to that directory, even running rsync as root on the remote system, I get a permission denied error.  If I push data from the remote host to /tmp on the server there is no problem.  There is likewise no problem in pulling data from the remote host to /data on the server. Only trying to push from the remote host to the data module on the server fails.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Adams
adamsb at mit.edu
MIT Dep't. of Chemistry Instrument Facility
617-253-1812