Is there a way to get an rsync client to communicate over stdin/stdout?

Parke parke.nexus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 18:53:19 UTC 2018

Hello,

Is there a way to get an rsync client to communicate over stdin/stdout?

I found these two emails from 2004.  The second email mentions that
there might be a patch.

https://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg09392.html
https://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg09427.html

Is anyone aware of a way to do this?  Or of a published patch that does it?

I figured I would ask before modifying the rsync source code myself.

(Obviously, there would need to be some mechanism for the rsync client
to output the command line arguments for the rsync server.  My use
case is I have a Python script creating and managing pipes.  Python
will Popen the rsync client, and then I want the rsync client to use
the pipes [probably stdin and stdout] given to it by Python.)

Cheers,

Parke