rsync --server command line options

Parke parke.nexus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 20:57:09 UTC 2018

Hello,

I ran the following commands:

rsync /tmp/foo remote:
rsync remote:/tmp/foo .

On the remote computer, the following commands were executed:

rsync --server -e.LsfxC . .
rsync --server --sender -e.LsfxC . /tmp/foo

Does anyone know, what is the meaning of the three dots/periods in the
above two commands?  The first command ends with two dots (". .") and
the second command has one dot (namely, the dot before /tmp/foo).

(Yes, I know that --server and --sender are intended for internal use
only.  Despite that, I want to try to get two rsync children to talk
to each other over a pipe created by a non-rsync parent.)

Thank you,

Parke