Rsync between 2 datacenters not working

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 20:36:18 UTC 2018

You could try using an automounter, like autofs, in combination with
sshfs.  It'll be slower, possibly a lot slower, but it should be more
reliable over an unreliable connection.

I've been using:
remote -fstype=fuse,allow_other,nodev,noatime,reconnect,ServerAliveInterval=15,ServerAliveCountMax=40,uid=0,gid=0,ro,nodev,noatime
:sshfs\#root at remote.host.com\:/

BTW, I'm not sure it's necessary to escape the #.  I never tried it without.

Also note that it flattens the remote host's mount tree into a single
filesystem - so things like /proc look like they are in the same
filesystem as /.  This can lead to backing up /proc's contents (many
pseudofiles), if you don't exclude it, even if you use rsync's -x
option.