why "DEFAULT" ?

Дугин Сергей drug at qwarta.ru
Tue Jun 26 17:20:37 UTC 2018

Hello.

I need the correct UID and GID to be written to the log file when backing up, rather than being installed on the files in the copy.

When  using  the  fake-super  option,  symlinks  are  stored as files, consequently, an inexperienced user will not be able to turn this file into a symlink just by copying it

And then analyzing the log I can write a bash script to restore UID and GID files

On 20/02/2017 10:43 PM, Sergey Dugin wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 7:22 AM, Sergey Dugin <drug at qwarta.ru> wrote:

> %G the gid of the file (decimal) or "DEFAULT"

>  Why "DEFAULT"?

> The DEFAULT usually indicates that rsync isn't preserving the gid
> value at all (so it doesn't have any group info for the file) but it
> can also mean that the receiver doesn't have permission to set that
> group value.  This can happen if the receiver is not running as root
> and the desired group isn't in the user's group membership.

> In the case of your options, it looks like you either need to
> ensure that the receiving rsync is running as root, or (if it is
> running as an admin user that is not UID 0) tell rsync to assume
> that it has super-user powers via the --super option.

> ..wayne..

Yours faithfully,
  Sergey Dugin                       mailto:drug at qwarta.ru
 QWARTA