How should I be using rsync with FAT32/VFAT

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Tue Jan 16 18:27:28 UTC 2018

#1 yes, you should use -rt instead of -a as everything else in -a is
incompatible with vfat.

#2 timestamps will always be a problem on vfat.  It has a 1 or 2 second
resolution so --modify-window=2 is a common solution.  However, if you
live somewhere that has yearly clock changes (we call it daylight
savings time) those will cause the timestamps to be off by an hour on
top of the 1-2 second problem.

The only potential solution I have ever found for #2 is to always run
rsync in a time zone that does not have clock changes (ie env TZ=UTC
rsync --modify-window=2 ....)  This way rsync will copy the timestamps
using the same interpretation of what they mean.

--
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853