Exclude and delete or not delete

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Tue Dec 4 13:36:19 UTC 2018

Hello

I'm looking for a way to exclude and delete some items but not delete
other items. Use case:

I'm on Windows where there are folders like recycle.bin and system
volume information on every drive. I can exclude them while backing
up my data drive. But I now also have other data that is excluded
and that I want to delete from my existing backup. However if I use
--delete-excluded then rsync tries to delete the (write protected)
system volume information from the destination disk.

Is there a way to get around this with only rsync parameters?
Do I have to move the destination into a directory to get rid of
the interfering drive root folders in the sync process?

Thanks

bye  Fabi