Troubleshooting RSYNC

John Long codeblue at inbox.lv
Sun Aug 5 08:51:38 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Sat, 2018-08-04 at 15:28 -0600, Leon via rsync wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am having a problem with rsync deleting entire folders and files
> and then attempting to recopy the entire contents of the folder(s)
> even though they are up to date.  The task is syncing from ubuntu
> (rsync version 3.1.1) to windows

Windows is usually a problem because of its shitty, incompatible
filesystems. I got help here recently on a similar issue.

For *NIX it is safe to do rsync -axv but when I have to use rsync with
a Windows filesystem I use -rtv

>  using cygwin (rsync version 3.1.2).  I have a number of these
> configurations, and they all work except this one.  I use the modify-
> window=600 and cannot understand the deletion (the times on the
> machines are within seconds of each other).  I have cranked up the
> verbosity level (-vvvvvv) hoping I could find something that explains
> why the files/folders are all being deleted.

Try running your command with the -n flag (does not modify anything,
just shows you what it would do like a trial run)

I have had to use --modify-window=some_number_of_seconds since exfat
and fat32 don't do time properly but that some_number_of_seconds
defaults to positive, so depending on your clocks you may need to
specify a negative value. I have had this situation happen in the past.

/jl