rsync time machine backup permissions

Dave Gordon dg32768 at zoho.eu
Wed Apr 4 13:11:25 UTC 2018

On 03/04/18 18:08, Michael wrote:
> On 2018-04-03, at 4:05 AM, Dave Gordon via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On 20/03/18 05:44, Andre Althoff via rsync wrote:
>>> That doesn’t work too. :-(
>>>
>>> Last login: Mon Mar 19 19:18:16 on console
>>> iMac:~ andre$ mount
>>> /dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
>>> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
>>> map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
>>> map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
>>> /dev/disk2 on /Volumes/G-DRIVE Thunderbolt 3 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)
>>
>> Maybe the "noowners" is the problem?
>> Try remounting the drive without this option?
>>
>> .Dave.
>
> Time Machine will enable ownership on the drive the first time it
> starts up.
>
> The first thing it does when it creates the backup directory is to
> enable ownership on the drive. I've seen this happen repeatedly (it's
> actually the easiest way I know of to enable ownership on drive).

But Andre is not using Time Machine on this drive, and "noowners" here
is an attribute of the mount, not the device. It's supposed to make the
filesystem *ignore* the actual ownership of files on the drive and treat
the contents as though they all belonged to the user; but maybe it also
disallows attempts to actually set ownership (because it would be
confusing?).

So remounting it without this option would definitely be worth trying,
even if only to eliminate it as a source of confusion.

.Dave.