--no-omit-dir-times does not override --backup

Anders Gronberg anders.gron1 at outlook.com
Sat Sep 16 17:13:41 UTC 2017

Greetings rsync gurus,

As I understand the documentation "--backup" without specifying "--backup-dir" implicitly sets "--omit-dir-times".
It is then possible to negate the implied option by specifying it prefixed with "--no".
The resulting option "--no-omit-dir-times" runs without any warnings or errors but does not transfer modification times on directories.

Example rsync command:
rsync --recursive --times --backup --no-omit-dir-times source_tree dest

Expected result:
rsync transfer modification times on directories.
or
Unknown option/syntax error message when executing the command.

Is this expected behavior or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for your attention.
--
Anders