rsync: "-c" option clarification

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Thu Mar 23 20:10:17 UTC 2017

Before anyone yells at me, yes, you can use rsync's --checksum to detect
(and fix) files that are incorrect despite having correct timestamps and
sizes.  This would mean that a previous rsync had been corrupted not the
current one.  But it is important to note that this would only be
reported to you if you also use --itemize-changes and what to look for
(a file with a c but not an s or a t).

It is also worth noting that single file compression tools (like gzip)
automatically set the original mtime when compressing or decompressing.
If you decompress then recompress such a file you can cause a case of a
file with matching mtime+size but not matching checksum due to gzip's
metadata even though the uncompressed result is identical.  I would not
consider this to be a case worth updating the remote copy but I am sure
someone will disagree.

--
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853