rsync: "-c" option clarification

steven banville steven.banville at cirina.com
Thu Mar 23 19:12:28 UTC 2017

Hi

I am using "rsync" to send files from a source machine to a remote machine as one typically does.  I would like to clarify that the "-c" option will cause the checksum on the receiving end to be created by reading the already written file and NOT the data stream on the receiving end.  This would help in catching disk I/O errors if the checksum is done on the file on disk.

I understand if the size and (or date?) don't match, the checksum is not needed on the receiving end.

I may be missing something but it wasn't entirely clear to me that the checksum is done based on the file on disk.

Thanks,
-Steve