Rsyncing without RSH or SSH ?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Mar 14 04:30:51 UTC 2017

People,

This doesn't seem possible - would it be possible to hack a version of
rsync to do it?

As an exercise, I want to create a VM image (or at least backup of all
the files with rsync) from a SCSI drive in an old Red Hat (NOT
Enterprise) v5.2 Linux 486 machine (circa 1999 that does have rsync on
it but it has protocol problems talking my server).  The 486 has:

- an ISA Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller attached to a Seagate 2GB drive
with 6 partitions

- an ISA ne2000 network card

- a 1.44MB FD

So, to be able to create the image of the 2GB SCSI drive that is in the
486, I need to boot the 486 on one or more floppy disks and dd the
/dev/sda drive over SSH to a file on my big Fedora 25 x86_64
workstation.  I now have Basic Linux booting from floppies but it is
still 2005 vintage and uses SSH1 and I haven't been able to get the old
Ciphers, MACs and KexAlgorithms working with my Fedora 25 x86_64 server
- so I still can't ssh or rsync to it from the 486.  BL does not have
any rshd . .

Any possibility of a version of rsync that doesn't need RSH or SSH?
Even if that hacking were possible, I guess it would have to be done on
the old rsync code for RH5.2 or BL3.5 . . and I don't know if that stuff
would still exist anywhere anyway . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--