Ownership and permissions when syncing directory contents

John Lane rsync at jelmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:19:11 UTC 2017

> That is as documented. You are requesting that the directory is synced
> to c, preserving all attributes (due to -a) so rsync does that.

Ah... the attributes of the containing directory are transferred to the
containing directory on the destination.

I read that but failed to absorb it. I guess it could clarify that,
where there are multiple source directories, it's the FIRST containing
directory's attributes that are transferred.

But thanks, that explains it.