Alternatives to rsync. Was: Huge directory tree: Get files to sync via tools like sysdig

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Feb 10 10:38:34 UTC 2017

Am 09.02.2017 um 16:21 schrieb Ben RUBSON:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On which type of FS is this directory ?
>>
>> ext4
>
> Any way to prefer snapshots in your backup strategy ?
> Or to use a ZFS ready OS to benefit from a SSD cache (which would store your metadata) ?

Yes, I think rsync is coming to the edge of its capabilities here. I guess a different strategy is needed.

I see these alternatives to rsync:

  - Incremental Snapshots at block-level device is one of them.
  - We get the application ported to access a storage server, and not file server any more.
  - ....

Do you see other alternatives?

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler