NFSv4 ACLs with rsync

Andre Gerbatsch andre.gerbatsch at globalfoundries.com
Wed Dec 6 15:38:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am looking for a method of syncing NFS directories (Netapp qtrees) that
contains NFSv4 ACLs. We copy qtrees (millions of files, xx TB) from one
qutree into another one.
The only tool we currently use is (netapp internal) ndmpcopy, it preserves
ACLs but is slow.
Netapp "xcopy" tool is also not aware of NFSv4 ACLs.

rsync that is aware of NFSV4 ACLs would be a smart solution for this
purpose.

I found a discussion and patch in the archive:
"Richard P Sat, 09 Jun 2012 14:19:48 -0700: This is a PoC patch for
NFSv4/ZFS ACLs."

​but I did not found any followup​.
Also current rsync 3.1.2 seems not to be able to copy nfsv4 acls (I tested).

Questions Is there some rsync patch or version available that copies nfsv4
ACLs ? Any other Ideas ?

Thanks
Andre

--

*Andre Gerbatsch*

MTS TD Global Engineering Support

Tel  +49 (0) 351 277-6086

Fax +49 (0) 351 277-96086

andre.gerbatsch at globalfoundries.com

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Dresden Module Two GmbH & Co. KG

Wilschdorfer Landstr. 101, 01109 Dresden, Deutschland

Registered Office/Sitz Dresden I Registration Court/Registergericht Dresden
HRA 4896; General Partner/ Vertretungsberechtigter Komplementär:
GLOBALFOUNDRIES Dresden Module Two Admin GmbH (Sitz Dresden, Germany);
General Manager/ Geschäftsführer der GLOBALFOUNDRIES Dresden Module Two
Admin GmbH:  Dr. Rutger Wijburg, Kay Chai Ang, Terrence Joseph Daly