Two log files instead of one?

Michal Ruprich michalruprich at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 09:00:19 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about the log-file option for the daemon rsync.

What the rsyncd.conf manual page says about the 'log file' option in
rsyncd.conf:

"This setting can be overridden by using the --log-file=FILE or
--dparam=logfile=FILE command-line options.  The former overrides all
the log-file parameters of  the  daemon  and all  module  settings."

And the rsync manual page in the daemon section says:

"This option tells the rsync daemon to use the given log-file name
instead  of  using  the "log file" setting in the config file."

>From this I would assume that when I run the daemon like this:
$/usr/bin/rsync --daemon --log-file=/tmp/rsync_test.log --no-detach
"$OPTIONS", I would get one log file - /tmp/rsync_test.log. Instead when
I run rsync from a remote client, two log files are created. There is a
piece of information in the /var/log/rsyncd.log file (the default one
from /etc/rsyncd.conf) and another piece of information in
rsync_test.log. Is this how it is supposed to work or is it a bug?

Thanks.

Michal Ruprich