error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util2.c(106) [sender=3.1.2]

John Hawkinson jhawk at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 11 15:29:07 UTC 2017

Sorry to keep replying to myself:

> Because this is a Time Machine backup, and there were 66 snapshots of a
> 1 TB disk consuming about 1.5 TB, there were a *lot* of hard links. Many
> of directories rather than individual files, so it's a little

Err, whoops? No, I was tired and confused. They are not hard links
to directories, that would screw up the universe. Still, lots of hard
linked files.

> Do I need to run this under lldb and set a breakpoint in expand_item_list()?
> Quick inspection suggests running with -vvvv might give some useful output:

Err...

the result of this was it processed a few files for a minute or so and
then hung in select() and consumed no cpu and there was no disk
activity. Unfortunately apparently my clang/lldb workflow was broken
and I didn't have functional debugging symbols (...) and I also lost
the stack trace I thought I had (inadequate scrollback), so I'm not
sure what was going on. But at first blush, it appeared that adding -vvvv
made things hang forever.

Removing it, and rerunning, it's now happily trucking along and has
been for the past hour actually doing work.

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson