Issue with spaces and strange characters (è)

Jan Alphenaar jan.alphenaar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:45:20 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I have been looking at this thing for a while now and I think it is a bug in
rsync 3.1.2 version 31. But before I log a defect, I need some confirmation.

My rsync solution is running in Cygwin on my Windows 10 PC to my linux
server. If required, I am rsyncing my files back onto my PC.

The directory path contains spaces in the name and the file name contains
strange characters (è), for example:

F:\Directory Name\What is wereldorièntatie.doc

If I rsync this to the server without the option -s everything works as
expected. I can also rsync it back to my pc as long as I do not use the
option -s. It will not work in both directions if I do use the -s option.

Now I have the following file, note I replaced the è for a normal e.

F:\Directory Name\What is wereldorientatie.doc

For syncing this file I do need the -s option, otherwise it breaks.

Obviously this behavior is not consistent and breaking my script, if I want
to restore my files.

I have tons of debugging for this, if required I can send this on the list,
but I think this small description might cover it as well.

Can anybody say something usefull about it ?

Regards,

Jan