Links repeatedly being copied???

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Oct 29 16:37:53 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 1:17 PM, B. S. <bs27975 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have for the longest time been seeing '.L..t......'s in my rsync log,
> despite no changes to such in quite some time, and in trying to track it
> down, been baffled.

This means that rsync is trying to set the timestamp on the symlink to
match the modify-time on the source symlink.  The initial dot tells you
that no "transfer" is happening (i.e. no change in symlink value). Some
filesystems don't allow a symlink's mtime to be set, so rsync can keep
trying to set the time and never be able to succeed.  You may want to use
this option: --omit-link-times (-J).