rsync: connection unexpectedly closed

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Sat Oct 15 07:02:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-10-13 at 20:08 -0400, Kevin Korb wrote:
> I don't remember whether or not you said you were running rsync over
> ssh but if you are you can also debug the ssh layer.  You can even do
> it at both ends....

Yes, I'm doing this over an SSH tunnel.

> On the server run a debugging sshd on an alternate port with:
> /usr/sbin/sshd -dDp222
> (note that this will only accept 1 connection, debug to the terminal,
> then exit) then on the client use rsync -e "ssh -vp222" to go verbose
> and use the debugging port.

This is a great idea except that I only have one port forwarded to the
server (beyond my control) and that port is for the current SSH session
I would need to spawn another one on some other inaccessible port.

--
Kip Warner -- Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred