rsync: connection unexpectedly closed

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Fri Oct 14 01:27:42 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-10-13 at 10:09 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Have you tried excluding the problem file from the transfer?

Hey Dave. All the other files appear to sync, up until it gets to that
one large file. Then it stalls, and finally times out. I could tell it
to exclude that important file, but that would defeat the purpose of my
backup.

> One possibility is that the problem is not caused directly by rsync
> but  because of some underlying filesystem glitch. What OS &
> filesystems are you using?

That could well be, but how to know?

Client side:

    $ lsb_release -a
    LSB Version:    	    security-9.20160110ubuntu5-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu5-noarch
    Distributor ID:    	    Ubuntu
    Release:    	    16.10
    Codename:    	    yakkety

Server side: