rsync: connection unexpectedly closed

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Thu Oct 13 03:30:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 08:36 +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> As always it's best to first upgrade to the current version (3.1.3)
> if at all possible, as there's always the chance that the cause of
> your problems has already been fixed.

Good call, but I believe I may have ruled this out. I didn't upgrade to
3.1.3, but both sides are running 3.1.1 protocol version 31 now. Same
problem.

I think the key insight was in the strace log which showed the select()
call was timed out. If I knew what type of file descriptor it was being
fed, I might have a clue. It might have been a socket or something on
disk. I don't know.

--
Kip Warner -- Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred