rsync with overlay tree

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 31 05:53:57 UTC 2016

In <B4E1EC5D-5E46-4A98-9018-C5E4C4441712 at equalit.ie>, on 03/31/16
   at 03:40 PM, tomr <tom at equalit.ie> said:

Hi,

>Then I'd run an rsync like:
>    rsync -av --overlay /path/to/sync/groupN \
>     /path/to/sync/common remotehost:

>Thinking in terms of a list of files to be transferred, I would like: -
>Anything present in common/ added to the file list; then - Anything
>present in groupN/ added to the list, clobbering if applicable
>(regardless of mtime) - The destination directory to show no sign of the
>common / overlay structure

The best solution will depend on the number of files in the special
groups.

Since you say the number is small, I suspect that something simple like:

  rsync -hia /path/to/sync/common remotehost:
  rsync -hia --ignore-times /path/to/sync/groupN remotehost:

will be close to optimal.

Another option is to build an --exclude-from list for the files in the
special group and apply it to the first rsync.  Then you can run the
second rsync without the --ignore-times, which may result in faster
overall throughput.

FWIW, I think you will find the -hi output more useful than the -v output.

Steven