Memory consumption for rsync -axv --delete

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Sun Mar 27 06:58:49 UTC 2016

You will have an old backup dir and a new backup dir.  The new one
will contain all the current stuff.  The old one will contain what was
current the last time you ran rsync.  Just rm -rf the old one.  Or
keep a few.  Or a few dozen.

On 03/27/2016 02:54 AM, John Long wrote:
> Thanks I'll look this up. There is still the issue of how to get
> the target box cleaned up since I can no longer run --delete.
>
> /jl
>
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 02:49:02AM -0400, Kevin Korb wrote: You
> miss-understand the purpose of --link-dest.  Yes, it gives you
> multiple complete backups, but each only consumes the disk space
> needed to store files that are unique to that backup.  Files that
> are the same in 2 backup runs are actually the same file in
> multiple directories requiring only 1 to actually be stored.

>> -- Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the
>> mailing list. To unsubscribe or change options:
>> read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.