Verifying backups

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Tue Mar 8 00:35:34 UTC 2016

FWIW, the one time I had corruption in my backups the problem was a
bad DIMM randomly flipping bits.  I now insist on ECC RAM.

On 03/07/2016 03:51 PM, Henri Shustak wrote:
> Just chiming in slightly off topic.
>
> As a first step if you are going to be backing up files to some
> media with a computer it would be a really good idea to ensure,
> that the hardware being used is not faulty. I am not saying that
> your hardware is faulty. However, it would be worth checking this
> somehow. Check the drive media for bad blocks, check that all the
> cables are working well. Ensure the mother board of the system is
> in good working order etc.
>
> As a second step if you are going to be performing backups (with a
> file system based tool such as rsync) to any kind of file system in
> future, I would strongly suggest checking the file system is in a
> good state on a regular basis. File system corruption is capable of
> cause all sorts of problems for backup systems which rely upon the
> file system like rsync.
>
> Hope this helps.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution
> http://www.lbackup.org
>
> On 2/10/2015, at 9:48 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette
> <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>

>> In message <560CE706.303 at sanitarium.net>, Kevin Korb
>> <kmk at sanitarium.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, when it comes to local copies cp is significantly faster
>>> than rsync.  Without --link-dest there isn't much advantage to
>>> using rsync for backups.  The only thing you get beyond cp -au
>>> is --delete.
>>
>> I just now remembered the (forehead slap) bloody obvious reason I
>> decided to use rsync to make and maintain my backup drive(s).
>>
>> Yes, it theory I could have used something simpler... cp -R or
>> else maybe cpio -p... but those just copy everything blindly.
>> For my backups, I only need/want to have the NEW and/or MODIFIED
>> files copied to the backup drive.  (And also, of course, I need
>> to have files that have been deleted on the main drive be deleted
>> also on the backup drive.)
>>
>> Rsync does everything I want as far as making and maintaining
>> backups. I could also have used FreeBSD backup & restore
>> programs, but for reasons I can't really remember anymore, I
>> concluded that rsync was the better option.
>>

>> Regards, rfg
>>

>> P.S.  I have no idea what the -u option for cp is supposed to
>> do. I guess that must be a Linux-ism.  The FreeBSD man page for
>> cp doesn't mention any such thing as a -u option.
>>
>> -- Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the
>> mailing list. To unsubscribe or change options:
>> read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.