Verifying backups

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 20:51:39 UTC 2016

Just chiming in slightly off topic.

As a first step if you are going to be backing up files to some media with a computer it would be a really good idea to ensure, that the hardware being used is not faulty. I am not saying that your hardware is faulty. However, it would be worth checking this somehow. Check the drive media for bad blocks, check that all the cables are working well. Ensure the mother board of the system is in good working order etc.

As a second step if you are going to be performing backups (with a file system based tool such as rsync) to any kind of file system in future, I would strongly suggest checking the file system is in a good state on a regular basis. File system corruption is capable of cause all sorts of problems for backup systems which rely upon the file system like rsync.

Hope this helps.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution
http://www.lbackup.org