size-related rsync bugs?

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 13:16:40 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-29 13:40, Dave Howorth wrote:
> I use rsync to download a directory from a remote daemon. This has
> worked well for years but has recently started to give problems. The
> rsync transfer is run by a program called dirvish that is run as a cron
> job. The log looks like this:
[snip]

Sorry, I should also have included the rsync error messages that I see:

*** Execution cycle 0 ***

rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(785) [receiver=3.1.2]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (14931 bytes received so far)
[generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226)
[generator=3.1.2]

*** Execution cycle 1 ***

rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(785) [receiver=3.1.2]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (17555 bytes received so far)
[generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226)
[generator=3.1.2]

*** Execution cycle 2 ***

rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(785) [receiver=3.1.2]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (16371 bytes received so far)
[generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226)
[generator=3.1.2]

*** Execution cycle 3 ***

rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(785) [receiver=3.1.2]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (16355 bytes received so far)
[generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226)
[generator=3.1.2]

*** Execution cycle 4 ***

rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(785) [receiver=3.1.2]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (16347 bytes received so far)
[generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226)
[generator=3.1.2]

Cheers, Dave