Operation not supported (95)

Albert Berger nbdspcl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 08:06:29 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 04:09:43PM -0700, Steven Levine wrote:
> In <20160623205843.GB6633 at kw.merryville>, on 06/23/16
>    at 11:58 PM, Albert Berger <nbdspcl at gmail.com> said:
>
> Hi,
>
> >I did some search about this error before asking this question, and in
> >other case unsupported ACLs were indeed the cause. But btrfs supports
> >ACLs:
>
> In addition to what Kevin said, if you are rsync-ing to a SAMBA share, you
> will be limited to what the SAMBA server supports and not all are
> configured to enable ACL support.

The 'backup' Samba share on the destination machine is configured with

inherit acls = yes
inherit permissions = yes

> >[root at kw al]# getfacl /mnt/backup/rootdir/var/log/journal/remote getfacl:
>
> This implies that the ACLs can be read, but it says nothing about whether
> the local system has the rights to delete the default ACLs from
> var/log/journal/remote.  You need to test this with something like
>
>   setfacl --remove-default \
>      /mnt/backup/rootdir/var/log/journal/remote

Executing this command didn't return any messages :

[root at kw al]# setfacl --remove-default /mnt/backup/rootdir/var/log/journal/remote
[root at kw al]# echo $?
0

I executed this on both source and destination, but the same
"Unsupported operation" error persists.

Albert.