rsync keeps writing files over

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 23:21:48 UTC 2016

In <D3762D63.17A7%mcdowellh at si.edu>, on 06/02/16
   at 10:42 PM, "McDowell, Blake" <McDowellH at si.edu> said:

Hi Blake,

>The storage is just an regular HDD in a mac pro tower. I can t imagine
>why it wouldn t handle timestamps. Also of note - this problem doesn t
>exist for every file, just the vast majority. So, that just makes it more
>confusing.

Are the file systems the same on the source and the destination
partitions?

Check out

  --modify-window

in the help.  If the source and destination file systems have different
timestamp precision, this is the usual solution.

You can also try

  rsync /path-to-foo

where path-to-foo is a directory or file.  This will list the file
timestamps as rsync interprets them.

BTW, what version of rsync are you running?  It might matter.

Steven