rsync v3.0.7 on Cygwin not updating larger but older dest file using "-u" option

Geil, Martin F martin.f.geil at lmco.com
Tue Jul 19 19:36:35 UTC 2016

All,

I am using an older version of rsync (v3.0.7) on top of Cygwin on Windows, with a remote rsyncd.  I am using "rsync -azhu  SOURCEDIR DESTDIR" so that I can update the DEST only if it has an older version of an existing file (people work at both sites, and I don't want to overwrite the most recent version of a file).  I'm finding that if I update a file under SOURCEDIR and make it larger, everything works as expected and DEST is updated.  However, if I update a file and it becomes smaller, the older DEST file remains untouched.  I did not see anything in the rsync changelog from v3.0.7 through the current version that appeared to be a fix for this behavior.  Has anyone else experienced this behavior, and if so, with what version of rsync?  Thanks in advance!

Martin G.