Why is my rsync transfer slow?

Robert DuToit rdutoit at comcast.net
Tue Jan 26 12:46:24 UTC 2016

Just chiming in here,

I haven’t read all the previous posts so may be repeating…

Mike Bombich has a good piece on benchmarks for various source/destination scenarios with rsync.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc3/how-long-should-clone-or-backup-take

Note that copying to sparsebundle on local media is as fast as to local disk. Sparsebundle is a mac filesystem whereas NAS is not so certain file metadata are not covered like Hard links,Acls and groups and owners. So it is important to turn off those rsync options to scan those file parts on NAS. But sparsebundle on NAS is ok for HFS options.

Network backups are always slower but you can see that sparseimage on network volume (AFP) is better according to Mike’s chart.

I also develop an rsync based backup app (backupList+) and some users have reported very slow times even to sparse images on NAS but I am not the expert Mike is on these matters. Network issues vary for sure….

Cheers,  Rob