Why is my rsync transfer slow?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 22:16:29 UTC 2016

dbonde+forum+rsync.lists.samba.org at gmail.com wrote:

> Thank you. I will try your suggestions. First I will connect the NAS

Ah, you didn't mention NAS ! How is it connected to the computer hosting "A" ? If via network then you've added *another* layer.

> directly to the computer (Do you recommend USB2 or 1 Gb Ethernet? Or should I daisy chain external HD and NAS? Then it would look like this:
>
> Computer <--FW800--> HD <--USB2--> NAS

Highly unlikely to work - the drive won't have a Firewire to USB bridge. Having the two different ports is to allow the drive to be connected to *a* host with either Firewire *OR* USB.

> The other option is
>
> HD <--FW800--> Computer <--USB2 or Ethernet 1000Mbit --> NAS

If you use a network connection then you've still got that network layer. If connected via USB, does it appear to the host as "just a drive" ? If so then use that.

> I also might have a look at ditto or CpMac.

Also consider Carbon Copy Cloner - it has a free trial.