Why is my rsync transfer slow?

dbonde+forum+rsync.lists.samba.org at gmail.com dbonde+forum+rsync.lists.samba.org at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 20:44:58 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-23 21:16, Kevin Korb wrote:
 > As long as it still sees both links it is fine.
 >
 > Essentially, the way it works is that whenever rsync -H (on the
 > source) sees a file with a link count >1 it remembers the
 > inode#>filename pair.  If it finds another instance of that inode it
 > then links to the same file on the target.  So, if you abort after it
 > copies one but before it links the other it will still handle it
 > correctly on the next run.
 >
 > It just won't handle it if you rsync tree #1 then rsync tree #2.  It
 > won't see a hard link that is common to both since it wasn't analyzing
 > them together.

I'm not sure I understand your answer. As you could see in my previous
message, the files that should be linked but was duplicated was located
in the same root directory ("/backups"):

/backups/2011-06-23-040258/Pictures/DSCF0748.JPG"

/backups/2010-12-18-070445/Pictures/DSCF0748.JPG"

Why is rsync losing track of the links just because the transfer was
interrupted if your explanation is correct?