Rsync & time-limit : timeout instead of run-time limit

Florent L. kobrasnip at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:33:21 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I use rsync to push files from remote servers. I added "run-time" patch to stop running at 8 am.
If run goes to 8am, I should received a "run-time limit exceeded" error.

But, half the time, I get :

rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(829) [sender=3.1.1]
== Error at 08:00:15 ==
I passed timeout=1200 in case of poor internet connection. But as you can see, script stops around 15sec after limit time...

Please find complete command :
rsync -ahz --stats --delete --delete-excluded --detect-renamed --no-group --timeout=1200 --stop-at="08:00" --partial --partial-dir="tempRsync" --max-size="300M" /srv $USER@$REMOTE_NAS:/$day >> log.log
I'm looking  for an explanation of this error and why I can't have my "run-time limit exceeded" error everytime...

Thanks a lot.

Florent