Bad description for --ignore-errors in man page

Angelos Ching angelos.ching at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 14:21:45 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I was figuring out a way to copy as much files as possible off a corrupted
file system using rsync, then I came across this —ignore-errors flag which
is described on man page as:

If the sending side detects any I/O errors, then the deletion of any
files  at the destination will be automatically disabled. This is to
prevent temporary filesystem failures (such as NFS errors) on the sending
side causing a massive deletion of files on the destination. You can
override this with the --ignore-errors option.

But then I came across a bug report on Debian’s tracker:

And I tested it personally, it makes rsync continue even when the
underlying file system is encountering errors, copying whatever it can.
Before I applied the flag, rsync just exit with error after copying a few
files.

So maybe the man page can get some updates on what the flag —ignore-errors
actually does and gives user clearer indication on the flag.

Best regards,
Angelos