Inactive/hanging rsync processes ?

Per Jessen per at jessen.ch
Tue Dec 6 09:55:29 UTC 2016

We've been running a mirror site for sanesecurity for a few months now, and at
some point I noticed lots of rsync processes clogging up the system.  Many
seemed to be just hanging, doing nothing.  They have been fork()ed, but they
have not yet dropped privileges.  Easily 80-100 of such processes.
The normal rsync timeout setting does not take effect, but using xinetd, I
fitted a sigalarm to automatically wake up any process after 5 minutes. This
brought the number of inactive processes down to a reasonable level.

Anybody else seeing such hanging rsync processes?

Thanks
Per Jessen

--
http://sanesec.jessen.ch - sanesecurity mirror & stats