User controlled i/o block size?

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Tue Apr 12 19:22:40 UTC 2016

In that instance you would need to delete the incomplete file.  The
same would happen if you used -u on rsync but -u is cp's only method
of avoiding files that are already there.

On 04/12/2016 02:54 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net>
> wrote:
>> You didn't say if you were networking or what features of rsync
>> you are using but if you aren't networking and aren't doing
>> anything fancy you are probably better off with cp -au which is
>> essentially the same as rsync -au except faster.
>
> I was curious if "cp -au" was indeed as robust as rsync.
>
> No it isn't.  My test:
>
> Create a folder with numerous files in it (a dozen in my case).
> Have one of them be 9GB (or anything relatively big).
>
> cp -au <src-folder> <dest-folder>
>
> Look in the destination folder and when you see the 9GB file
> growing, kill "cp -au".  (I just did a control-C).
>
> Restart "cp -au".
>
> I ended up with a truncated copy of the 9GB file.  (roughly a 3GB
> file.)
>
> The copy I did yesterday was about 1200 files.  Almost all were
> about 1.5GB in size, so that was a multi-hour process to make the
> copy.
>
> Using rsync, I can kill the copy at any time (by desire or system
> issue) and just restart it.
>
> Using the simple "rsync -avp --progress" command I end up
> recopying the file that was in progress when rsync was aborted, but
> 1.5GB files only take 10 or 15 seconds to copy, so that is a
> minimal wasted effort when considering a copy process that runs for
> hours.
>
> fyi: In my job I work with 100GB+ read-only datasets all the time.
> The tools are all designed  to segment the data into 1.5 GB files.
> One advantage is if a file becomes corrupt, just that segment file
> has to be replaced.  All the large files are validated via MD5 hash
> (or SHA-256, etc).  I keep a minimum of two copies of all
> datasets. Yesterday I was making a third copy of several of the
> datasets, so I had almost 2TB of data to copy.
>
> Thanks Greg -- Greg Freemyer www.IntelligentAvatar.net

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.